The current photos show the castle after completion of restoration in 2006. The earlier version of this page showing the building before restoration may be seen by clicking the link on the navigation bar (left) to the Old Home Page.
Barholm Castle is a traditional Scottish tower house situated 95m.(312 ft.) above sea level on a hillside overlooking Wigtown Bay and the Machars of Wigtownshire. It may have been constructed in several stages and consists of a rectangular tower with its earliest origins probably dating from the late 15th century and a later stair tower built on the NE side, probably late in the 16th century.
While its history is not well documented, it is known that it was a stronghold of the local McCulloch family. It is reputed briefly to have been a hiding place in 1566 of the well known figure of the Scottish reformation John Knox (1514-1572).
The castle fell into disuse and disrepair in the mid-18th century.
In August 2002, Historic Scotland agreed to make a substantial grant contribution towards the restoration of the castle for residential use; this work began late in 2003 and was completed in late 2005. Further information may be found via the "The Restoration" link.
The castle is now in use as a family home.